wyrd thoughts: my other blog

"The time has come, the walrus said, to talk of many things...."

News and views about current affairs, religious freedom issues, and the fight against euthanasia. Also the latest about my cats, goats, sheep, geese and chickens, life in Menominee county, and whatever else is on my mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wallace, Michigan, United States

"I'm Nobody, who are you?"

These blogs are the work of Nissa Annakindt, writer and farmer from Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

My poetry and prose have been published in: Struggle, Above the Bridge, HEATHENzine, Idunna, Marklander, Asynjur and PanGaia.

I also was editor/publisher of the Nine Virtues News in its print incarnation, which ran weekly for a while.

Contact me at: Nissa Annakindt PO Box 95 Wallace, MI 49893 USA

"My strength is the strength of ten, because my heart is pure."

Monday, June 13, 2005

Poultry miracles

The other day I thought the eggs left in my hatcher were all duds. There was one that had pipped the shell, but couldn't get out. I gave it a good long time, then cracked the shell all the way round to help it. (Helping a chick out is usually fatal.)

The stuck chick still didn't get out and I thought it was dead, so I turned the incubator off and left to spend the day with my mother.

When I came home, I heard chirping in the incubator. It was a hatched bantam chick. It was chilled and limp so I quickly turned the incubator back on. That didn't heat quick enough so I took the chick out to the brooder and placed it under the heat lamp.

That chick died by morning. But another egg in the incubator that had been turned off hatched overnight--- I'd forgotten to shut it off again. The chick seemed fine. I kept it in the incubator to dry off. It was chirping a lot so I decided to discard the egg with the dead, stuck chick in it. As I took it out, I saw movement in the egg membrane.

I carefully peeled the chick out of the shell. It was alive after being stuck so long and being chilled for half a day. I gave it a drink of water and left it with the other chick, and later moved both out to the brooder.

The stuck chick is still alive this morning. Not sure it's going to survive in the long term, but after what it's survived so far, it may well make it.

And this morning, another egg is hatching.