wyrd thoughts: my other blog

"The time has come, the walrus said, to talk of many things...."

News and views about current affairs, religious freedom issues, and the fight against euthanasia. Also the latest about my cats, goats, sheep, geese and chickens, life in Menominee county, and whatever else is on my mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wallace, Michigan, United States

"I'm Nobody, who are you?"

These blogs are the work of Nissa Annakindt, writer and farmer from Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

My poetry and prose have been published in: Struggle, Above the Bridge, HEATHENzine, Idunna, Marklander, Asynjur and PanGaia.

I also was editor/publisher of the Nine Virtues News in its print incarnation, which ran weekly for a while.

Contact me at: Nissa Annakindt PO Box 95 Wallace, MI 49893 USA

"My strength is the strength of ten, because my heart is pure."

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Leslie Burke: food as life support

The above link is to a biased essay on the case of Leslie Burke, the man who is suing so he won't be starved and dehydrated when his disease progresses.

The essay assumes that giving food and water through a stomach tube is 'life support' which can be withdrawn without being murder. It also speaks of the high cost of health care.

In fact tube feeding's been around for over a hundred years and is routine. The food used is just ordinary Ensure that you can buy in any grocery store. It's a lot less expensive way to get food than eating at McDonalds.

The other care costs for a tube feeding patient are no different for the cost of keeping any disabled person alive, or a senior citizen in assisted living.

The doctors who approve starvation/dehydration for tube feeding patients sometimes also claim that meals brought on trays in a medical setting are 'life support', and that starving/dehydration should be the 'non-treatment of choice' for the elderly.