wyrd thoughts: my other blog

"The time has come, the walrus said, to talk of many things...."

News and views about current affairs, religious freedom issues, and the fight against euthanasia. Also the latest about my cats, goats, sheep, geese and chickens, life in Menominee county, and whatever else is on my mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wallace, Michigan, United States

"I'm Nobody, who are you?"

These blogs are the work of Nissa Annakindt, writer and farmer from Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

My poetry and prose have been published in: Struggle, Above the Bridge, HEATHENzine, Idunna, Marklander, Asynjur and PanGaia.

I also was editor/publisher of the Nine Virtues News in its print incarnation, which ran weekly for a while.

Contact me at: Nissa Annakindt PO Box 95 Wallace, MI 49893 USA

"My strength is the strength of ten, because my heart is pure."

Monday, June 13, 2005

Abortion and Euthanasia

I'm uncomfortable in making too close a link between abortion and
euthanasia, and here is my reason:

In an abortion, there are two people involved, the pregnant woman and
the unborn baby. Two lives that are interconnected. There is a wide
range of opinion as to when it is morally right to sacrifice the child
for the mother's needs. (I doubt there are any pro-life people who
would forbid abortion in a case where the mother would definitely die
without an abortion and the baby has no hope of living anyway)

In euthanasia the question is far simpler. There is one life involved.
Do we take that life because that is easier for us, or do we not?

I feel that too much linking of the abortion and euthanasia issues did
harm in the Terri Schiavo case. There were also folks out there linking
the Schiavo case to the Ten Commandments monument case in Alabama.

This kind of turns off people who might otherwise be on our side.

--
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.298 / Virus Database: 267.6.9 - Release Date: 6/11/2005