wyrd thoughts: my other blog

"The time has come, the walrus said, to talk of many things...."

News and views about current affairs, religious freedom issues, and the fight against euthanasia. Also the latest about my cats, goats, sheep, geese and chickens, life in Menominee county, and whatever else is on my mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wallace, Michigan, United States

"I'm Nobody, who are you?"

These blogs are the work of Nissa Annakindt, writer and farmer from Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

My poetry and prose have been published in: Struggle, Above the Bridge, HEATHENzine, Idunna, Marklander, Asynjur and PanGaia.

I also was editor/publisher of the Nine Virtues News in its print incarnation, which ran weekly for a while.

Contact me at: Nissa Annakindt PO Box 95 Wallace, MI 49893 USA

"My strength is the strength of ten, because my heart is pure."

Friday, May 13, 2005

Killing a King for a headline

King George V, father of George VI and grandson of Queen Victoria, did not die of natural causes when he passed away in 1936. Instead, the royal physician, Lord Dawson, plainly admits in his diaries that he gave the apparantly dying king a fatal dose of cocaine and morphine.

The doctor's motive? He wanted the king to die soon enough that his death would make the morning edition of the Times.

References:
Kelleher MJ. "Arranging the death of a king." Crisis. 1998;19(1):6-7
Ramsay JH. "A king, a doctor and a convenient death." British Medical Journal. 1994 May 28;308(6941):1445
Watson F. "The death of George V." History Today. 1986 Dec:36:21-30
Lelyveld, J. "1936 secret is out: doctor sped George V's death" The New York Times. 1986 Nov. 28:A1, A3