wyrd thoughts: my other blog

"The time has come, the walrus said, to talk of many things...."

News and views about current affairs, religious freedom issues, and the fight against euthanasia. Also the latest about my cats, goats, sheep, geese and chickens, life in Menominee county, and whatever else is on my mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wallace, Michigan, United States

"I'm Nobody, who are you?"

These blogs are the work of Nissa Annakindt, writer and farmer from Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

My poetry and prose have been published in: Struggle, Above the Bridge, HEATHENzine, Idunna, Marklander, Asynjur and PanGaia.

I also was editor/publisher of the Nine Virtues News in its print incarnation, which ran weekly for a while.

Contact me at: Nissa Annakindt PO Box 95 Wallace, MI 49893 USA

"My strength is the strength of ten, because my heart is pure."

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Don't forget Terri-- make a memorial

Don't let Terri Schindler Schiavo's fight for life and her cruel death be forgotten the way so many other public euthanasia cases have been. (Does anyone remember baby Allan Bollinger?) If we all find a way to memorialize Terri and other euthanasia victims, it will go a long way towards ensuring remembrance.

My own memorial is going to be in the form of a quilt. I've never made a quilt before but I do sew and embroider. I got the idea when Terri was still alive and when I happened to go to a craft shop with my mother and saw the book "Memory Quilts in the Making" from Leisure Arts, I decided to go through with it.

The quilt I am doing is the antique album quilt on page 52. It has 30 rather large blocks which are easy to piece and each one has a generous place in the center on which to embroider a name.

I've been buying quarter-yards of fabric for the blocks, and also have been using fabric from my father's shirts. (My father passed away this past Nov. 30--- not of euthanasia, thank the Gods.)

The other part of the project is in finding the names of euthanasia victims. I've read a number of library books on euthanasia and got a newsletter from the Int. Task Force on Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide, and this has yielded a number of names, more than I need for the 30 squares of the quilt.

I will be putting up a web site on the quilt and its progress. I hope others will be inspired to make similar quilts and other projects. (Write to my PO box to tell me about yours and I will mention it one this blog and the website.)